The global spread of the coronavirus COVID-19 has, in a matter of few weeks, changed the Cambodia Global Health Advisory from Level 1 (“Exercise the normal precautions”) to Level 4 (“Do Not Travel. Avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19”).
Prior to Departure
As we speak, some strict restrictions have been set in place for all foreign visitors by the Ministry of Health. If you wish to enter Cambodia you’ll need to:
- Get a valid visa issued prior to departure by the Cambodian Embassy of your country. The visa is typically granted for business purposes, therefore remember to bring a copy of your employment letter, written in English and issued, stamped, and signed by your employer in Cambodia. Cambodia has stopped issuing e-visas, visas on arrival, and visa exemptions for an unforeseeable future.
- Have proof of health insurance coverage of a minimum of USD 50,000 for medical cover. https://www.forteinsurance.com/covid-19-insurance/
- Get a medical certificate confirming a negative test for COVID-19, issued no longer than 72 hours prior to the date of travel, from a competent health authority. The certificate must be fully written in English, should bear the stamp of the medical facility issuing it and be signed by a qualified medical practitioner.
Deposit of US $2.000
- The government is now imposing charges for lab testing, medical treatment and accommodation under health measures to prevent a second wave of COVID-19 transmission in Cambodia.
- All foreign passengers are required to deposit US$2.000 for the COVID-19 service charges at the airport upon their arrival. Once deductions for services have been made, the remainder of the deposit will be returned.
- This can be paid either by cash or credit card.
Testing – Screening – Quarantine
- All passengers are required to quarantine 14 days
- All passengers will be COVID-19 tested by the local authority on the day of arrival and tested again on the 13th day of the quarantine.
- Anyone testing positive for COVID-19 will be admitted to agovernmen-designated hospital for monitoring and treatment. Their identity will also be publicly disclosed to facilitate track and trace mechanisms.
- Starting July 2021, it is possible for travelers entering Cambodia to choose the hotel in which they will spend their mandatory 14 days of on-arrival quarantine as part of the Alternative State Quarantine (ASQ) program of Cambodian government.
- The choice of hotels is between the Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence, or the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. Inbound travellers will have to make the reservation directly on the hotel’s website, while other hotels are expected to offer dedicated deals in the near future, making quarantines easier for incoming travelers.
- If one of these two hotels is not pre-selected, visitors will be assigned to a government-designated place, in accordance with the current system.
- It should be noted that this new option is subject to the same sanitary rules currently in place for entering the country.
Upon presenting the negative test results issued on the 13th day of the quarantine by the authorized Hospital to the authorized Cambodian Asia Bank branch, you will have the remainder of the deposit returned, after deducting lab testing, medical treatment, and accommodation expenses.
The Cambodian government may impose additional movement or travel restrictions on short notice. We advise travelers to monitor the media for information on the latest developments and to follow the advice of local authorities or embassies.
For more information
To see the updated figures of COVID-19 cases in Cambodia, check the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control.